Monday, September 04, 2006

Hari Pertama

I’m on the internet at a WarNET (warung internet, internet shop) about two hundred yards from my house. The service is abyssmally slow, costs 40 cents per hour, and I have to deal with Rod Stewart circa 1981 blaring overhead. The shift key also has the tendency to jammmmm for extended periods of time.
This past weekend was the 53rd anniversary of my school (SMA Negeri Dua, SMA2), complete with student-run bazaar, fun games, and the new international teacher embarassing himself on stage, again.
I had my arm twisted into performing in front of the crowd of several hundred, and lacking any better ideas, I was cajoled into singing the school’s alma mater, in Indonesian. Put on the spot, I abandoned the traditional lyrics, and in Indonesian, sang something like “SMA Negeri Dua, Saya guru bule gila” – which translates roughly as “I’m the crazy whiteboy teacher.” Good work, Mr. Nick.
Later in the day, the school’s rebel faction, the Caution Skaters and Breakers clique, performed in the warehouse across from the school, and then in front of the crowd. Most of these kids, dressed in low-rise jeans, trucker hats and skater shoes, could have been pulled out of any American suburb.
I taught my first few classes today. The students’ English isn’t bad, but it’s painfully obvious that they’ve been learning from books for five years, and have minimal experience actually holding a conversation with anyone. My goal is to get the kids out of their shells - which they are perfectly comfortable doing in Indonesian, especially when whispering about me behind my back – and to introduce a measure of analytical reasoning, which seems to be devoid from most classes here. I am also co-coaching the debate team, made-up of several older students who have already studied abroad in the U.S. I’m also slated to teach English to the English teachers, and to coach the basketball team.
As I was leaving school today, one of the ibus (older women) grabbed my arm and in Indonesian said, “I hear you’re Jewish. Be careful. It’s best if you don’t tell your students, because there are some fanatics in your classes.” Well, I’ve decided that I’ll hold back for the first few months, but my job here is to serve as a cultural ambassador and to break-down cultural and social stereotypes. Even the teachers here have a very hard time understanding the difference between Jews, Christians, and Israel. I feel that at some point, it will be my obligation to clear things up – with caution, of course.
Selamat malam.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home