Friday, September 01, 2006

Home Sweet Home

I was invited to a twelve year-old boy's penis cutting ceremony this morning. VERY exciting stuff.
Needless to say, I'm in madiun. The city (more like a village) is small, sunny, clean, and friendly. My house is between a mosque and a rice paddy. The mullah's call to prayers and the roosters crowing at 5AM are sure to keep me spiritually and pandemically secure.
I'm on the internet at SMAN 2 (my school) right now - they have class on saturdays, poor kids! It's the school's 53rd anniversary here today (this country loves to celebrate dates), and they're having FUN GAMES in the courtyard. Upon arriving, I had to address the whole school and community, about 900 people. I tried to make a speech in Indonesian, but everyone just started laughing at me, so I switched to english, and everybody still laughed at me. This is going to be awesome!
There are a few exchange students who speak top-notch English (former American Field Service exchange students to Oklahoma, Texas, and Pittsburgh) and everyone is trying their best to make me feel comfortable/like royalty. They even gave me the anchor spot in tug-of-war guru-guru versus murid-murid (teachers vs. students), although I think the honor was due more to my ponderous size rather than any sort of cultural respect.
I'm going shopping for kit for my house this afternoon, and I'll post some photos as soon as I have 'em.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home